Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Happy Elisa is Happy (+ January TBR!)

Recently it came to me that my mom had sold almost every book I owned, this summer at a yard sale. At the time I was not aware that I would start a book review blog, and I don't know, WANT TO REREAD SOME OF MY BOOKS. So, I'm starting from scratch, if you can call about 10 books scratch) and again building my book collection.

Another tragic event happened! The Borders bookstore in my neighborhood closed, along with all the other Borders anywhere else *insert sad/annoyed face*. We have a local bookstore, and a Barnes and Noble downtown Chicago, but they will never fill the void in my dear old teenage, Borders loving heart. Half Price Books however comes VERY CLOSE! How did I not grow to appreciate this before? Almost as many books as your heart desires for literally HALF of the original price. *faints*. This is a godsend for the wallets of my parents and myself, and I could not be happier.

So there you have it. Half Price Bookstore made this chick extremely happy.

I'm starting off this beautiful January 2013 with 4 books on my to be read booklist.


Book 1: The Mysterious Benedict Society - Trenton Lee Stewart
Price (Original): $6.99
Price (Half Priced Books): $3.49
Genre: YA
Pages: 485
Why?: This book simply caught my eye! They all say that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but I'm guilty. That's like saying you shouldn't judge a car by its body style! Sure it could have the engine of a porsche, but the thing that draws you in isn't the cracked up outer shell of a Beater! It's the glossy petite finish of a good sports car! I don't know if I can ever change! Anyways, as I went down the aisles looking at books, I would scan them and lookup reviews and stars given on goodreads. This one was highly praised and I gave it a try! This is my first read of 2013 and its safe to say that I am very excited.


Book 2: The Mysterious Benedict Society and The Perilous Journey - Trenton Lee Stewart
Price (Original): $6.99
Price (Half Priced Boks): $3.49
Genre: YA
Pages: 440
Why?: Again, the cover grabbed my attention. But hello! This is the sequel! I was, however, standing in front of this series for a good 10 minutes deciding whether or not I should buy the sequel or wait to see if I loved the first one. With that price kids, I couldn't pass it up, and had to buy it! I also looked it up on goodreads and it had about the same praise as the first! I didn't buy the third because I just wanted to be safe (even though I may be going back this Saturday!)



Book 3: Revolution - Jennifer Donnelly
Price (Original): $18.99
Price (Half Priced Books): $6.99
Genre: YA
Pages: 472
Why?: This was the first book I decided to buy. It deeeeeeefinitely caught my eye. And the very detailed description on the inside cover helped tremendously. It was very appealing, and the reviews on goodreads helped my purchase. I look forward to reading this and reviewing it. Hopefully it will be worth the time it takes to read almost 500 pages!








Book 4: The Outsiders - S. E. Hinton
[Previously Owned]
Genre: YA
Pages: 180 (praise jesus)
Why?: My brother (he's 21) got this book when he was in high school. It's always been sitting around in my dads book cases and today I decided to give it a chance. This was kind of an act of desperation seeing as I didn't have any books as my mom had sold almost all of them. Even though I have newer books that I'm actually interested in, I plan on at least finishing this one before going on to even newer books (save for the 3rd or 4th books to the Mysterious Benedict Society series). I plan on reading this and getting a great story out of it.






So there you have it. Four books to look forward to this January (including a grueling high school schedule) and many more, knowing how fast a reader I am. I plan on reviewing each of them, so keep an eye out! Three 400+ page books in a row. I must be crazy! But, I have faith in myself good people. And hopefully you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment